Is my report confidential?
Yes. Student Services and People and Culture (for staff) take confidentiality as a highest priority. The only time confidentiality will be broken is if you want us to or there is a safeguarding concern.  

What happens if I report anonymously?
If you report anonymously, it is 100% anonymous and we will not know who made the report. At the same time you cannot name anyone in your report. If you are not ready to speak with an adviser, we still encourage people to report anonymously, as it is important that the University knows of your situation so we can have a clear picture of what problems there are on campus so we can address them accordingly.

What happens when I report with personal details?
Your report will be assigned to someone in the Student Life team (or People and Culture for staff) and they will contact you by email. They may offer you an appointment to talk about what happened, or sometimes may need to ask a few questions to make sure you have access to the most appropriate support.
The Student Life team can offer practical advice and support, and can explain the formal University Discipline reporting process if you have been impacted by the behaviour of someone else at UEA.

Will you investigate what happened as soon as I make a report?
Submitting a report does not automatically initiate the formal University Discipline process. In the majority of cases, we would not be able to proceed with an investigation into what happened without clear, informed consent from the reporter.
Students: if you would like your report to proceed to the formal University Discipline process, the Student Life adviser who contacts you will be able to explain the next steps.

I’m not sure about submitting a report – can I talk to someone and get help before making a decision?
There is nothing to worry about by making a report. Submitting a report means an adviser can contact you and offer an appointment. In the appointment you will have access to advice, support and options of what you can do next. You can take as much time as needed to think about what you'd like to do, and don't need to decide during the appointment. Please feel confident in making a report as a way to access support. 

Can I make a report on behalf of someone else?
Yes you can. However we would want to contact the person you are reporting for to give them the support they need, so it's important to consider how they would feel about you making the report on their behalf. 

What happens if I report to the police?
Depending on what has happened, one option can be reporting to the police to start a criminal case. If you do decide to report to the police, the University cannot investigate or proceed with a complaint until the police and any court cases are complete. An adviser will be able to explain more and will be able to support you through any decision you make. Any appropriate risk assessments and support mechanisms to manage your safety will still be carried out. 

Will my parents / my school be told?
No. The only time we would tell your parents or school is if there is a safeguarding concern about you or others. This includes if you are on a professional course, such as training to become a doctor, nurse or teacher. 

What are the possible outcomes of a University investigation into the behaviour of another student?
If your report indicates that another student has behaved in a way that breaches the University's General Regulations for Students, your adviser can help make a referral to the Student Misconduct Investigation Team. The team can investigate the details of your report and submit their findings to the Disciplinary Officer to make a decision.
There can be a range of outcomes and it will depend on each individual case. They can range from a fixed monetary penalty, to cases going to Senate Student Disciplinary Committee (SSDC) which could lead to a suspension or expulsion.

What is the time frame for a University investigation?
From the point of referral to the Student Misconduct Investigation Team to an outcome letter being sent to you and others involved, should normally take no longer than 60 days. Please note that cases going to SSDC can take longer.

Will I know the outcome of a University investigation?
Universities are unable to share the outcomes of investigations and disciplinary processes with third parties, but we will inform a reporting student that the case has concluded and we will share as much information about the outcome as possible.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened