If you have been spiked its important to remember what has happened is not your fault and you're not alone. Your safety and wellbeing are the most important things right now and you can access specialist support, if and whenever you feel ready.

What to do if you think you've been spiked:

  • If you think you or a friend has been spiked it’s important to tell someone as soon as you can. 
  • Alert a member of staff or security if you're at a venue.
  • Stay with your friend and keep talking to them.
  • Don’t let them go home on their own or leave with someone you don’t know.
  • Report to the police online, on 101 or, in an emergency, call 999. 


Spiking hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  
  • To the Police. If you want to report stalking incidents directly to the police, you can call 101 for a non-emergency, use their online reporting form, or call 999 in an emergency.
  • Report to the University and get Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an adviser. If you choose to talk to an adviser they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
  • University Policies. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 

University Support 

For Students
  • Student Life Adviser. An adviser can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Student Resident Life Team. Whether it is your parish Student Services Resident (SSR) or the Duty SSR, if you are living in UEA residences there is someone to talk to. 
  • The uea(su) Advice Service. A free, confidential, impartial service where an adviser can talk through procedures, how to complain, what options are available, and support you through the process.  
  • Exceptional circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for exceptional circumstances.

For Staff
  • Human Resource Adviser. An adviser can talk through option whether the incident involved another staff member at UEA, a student, or a visitor to campus. 
  • Employee Assistance Programme. This free confidential 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year service is an UEA employee benefit available. Confidential support independent from UEA, with professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area.

External Support 

  • Speak to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Rape Crisis England and Wales. Further information is available on spiking, date rape and more.
  • Drinkaware. More information again on spiking and date rape drugs.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened