What is a Hate Incident? 

Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that can be caused by hate.

'Hate incidents' and 'hate crimes' are terms used to describe acts of violence or hostility directed at people because of who they are or who someone thinks they are. They are motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's: 
  • disability
  • race (including Caste)
  • religion
  • transgender identity
  • sexual orientation
This can be an incident against a person or against property and includes materials posted online.
More can be found on the The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) website.

Some examples of hate incidents include: 
  • verbal abuse like name-calling and offensive jokes 
  • bullying or intimidation by children, adults, neighbours or strangers 
  • harassment 
  • online abuse, for example on Facebook or Twitter
  • physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting 
  • threats of violence 
  • hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail 
  • displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters 
  • harm or damage to things such as your home, pet, or vehicle 
  • graffiti 
  • arson 
  • throwing rubbish into a garden 
  • malicious complaints, for example over parking, smells or noise 

What are Hate Crimes?

When hate incidents become criminal offences they are known as hate crimes.  A criminal offence is something that breaks the law.  

Some examples of hate crimes include: 
  • assault
  • criminal damage 
  • harassment 
  • murder 
  • sexual assault 
  • theft 
  • fraud 
  • burglary 
  • hate mail 
  • harassment 
Find out more 
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness. 
  • Internet Hate Crime. True Vision also provide further information on internet hate crime. 


We believe hate is Never OK. 
Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  
  • Report to the University and get Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an adviser. If you choose to talk to an adviser they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
  • University Policies. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 
  • To the Police. If you want to report a hate incident directly to the police, you have 4 options: Call 101 for a non-emergency, text 07786 200777, email enquiries@norfolk.pnn.police.uk, or use their online reporting form.


  • Talk to a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Citizens Advice provides some useful information on the different types of harassment and hate crime people may experience. 
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous, there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness. 
  • Disability Equality NW runs the Developing from the Negatives Project (DFN), which aims to raise awareness of Disability Hate Crime and encourage reporting. 
  • Tell MAMA supports victims of anti-Muslim hate and is a public service which also measures and monitors anti-Muslim incidents. 
  • Community Security Trust (CS) helps those who are victims of anti-Semitic hatred, harassment or bias. 
  • Stop Hate in Norfolk (SHiN) is a a resource for everyone who wants to work towards tackling Hate in Norfolk.
  • Victim Support. If you report a crime to the police, they should automatically ask you if you would like help from an organisation like Victim Support. But anyone affected by crime can contact them directly – you don’t need to talk to the police to get Victim Support help. 
For Students
  • Student Life Adviser. An adviser can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Residential Life Team. Whether it is your neighbourhood Student Services Resident (SSR) or the Duty SSR, if you are living in UEA residences there is someone to talk to.   
  • The uea(su) Advice Service is a free, confidential service. Advisers can support students who have been named in a disciplinary report for breach of the General Regulations for Students, and can talk through the procedure, what options are available and help you complain if you are unhappy with the process.
  • Exceptional circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for exceptional circumstances.

For Staff
  • Human Resource Adviser. An adviser can talk through the options available whether the incident involved another staff member at UEA, a student, or a visitor to campus. 
  • Health Assured - Employee Assistance Programme. This free 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year service is available to all UEA staff. The programme offers confidential support independent from UEA, with professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area.
Find out what other support is available

Immediate help 

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 
  • Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
  • On campus. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 01603 592222 for emergencies (01603 592352 for non-emergencies). 
  • If you are in UEA Accommodation? Call your Duty Student Services Resident (SSR) who can respond from 6pm to 7am during weekdays and over the entire weekend. 

Helping Others 

Are you worried about someone else experiencing a hate crime? 
If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Most people will usually describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel. 
You can find more information and advice on the I'm worried about someone else page. 

There are two ways you can tell us what happened