Immediate help 

Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999 (or 112 from a mobile). 
Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened, try and find somewhere you feel safe. 
On campus. If you are at the University you can call University Security on 01603 592222 for emergencies (01603 592352 for non-emergencies). 
If you are in UEA Accommodation? Call your Duty Student Services Resident (SSR) who can respond from 6pm to 7am during weekdays and over the entire weekend. 

What is a hate crime? 

Nobody should have to live with the fear and anxiety that hate can cause. 
'Hate incidents' and 'hate crimes' are terms used to describe acts of violence or hostility directed at people because of who they are or who someone thinks they are. They are motivated by hostility or prejudice based on disability, race, religion, transgender identity, or sexual orientation. This can be an incident against a person or against property and includes materials posted online. 

More can be found on the The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) website.

Hate Incidents 

Some examples of hate incidents include: 
  • verbal abuse like name-calling and offensive jokes 
  • harassment 
  • bullying or intimidation by children, adults, neighbours or strangers 
  • physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting 
  • threats of violence 
  • hoax calls, abusive phone or text messages, hate mail 
  • online abuse, for example on Facebook or Twitter 
  • displaying or circulating discriminatory literature or posters 
  • harm or damage to things such as your home, pet, or vehicle 
  • graffiti 
  • arson 
  • throwing rubbish into a garden 
  • malicious complaints, for example over parking, smells or noise 

Hate Crimes 

When hate incidents become criminal offences they are known as hate crimes.  A criminal offence is something that breaks the law.  

Some examples of hate crimes include: 
  • assaults 
  • criminal damage 
  • harassment 
  • murder 
  • sexual assault 
  • theft 
  • fraud 
  • burglary 
  • hate mail 
  • harassment 
Race and Religious Hate Crime 
Racist and religious crime is particularly hurtful to victims as they are being targeted solely because of their personal identity: their actual or perceived racial or ethnic origin, belief or faith. These crimes can happen randomly or be part of a campaign of continued harassment and victimisation. 
Homophobic and Transphobic Hate Crime 
In the past, incidents against lesbian, gay, bisexual people or transgender people have been rarely reported and even more rarely prosecuted. Research studies suggest that victims of, or witnesses to, such incidents have very little confidence in the criminal justice system. 
Disability Hate Crime 
Feeling and being unsafe through violence, harassment or negative stereotyping has a significant  impact on disabled people's sense of security and wellbeing. It also impacts significantly on their ability to participate both socially and economically in their communities. 
Find out more 
  • True Vision offers guidance on reporting hate crime and hate incidents. If you do not wish to talk to anyone in person about the incident or wish to remain anonymous there is an online form for reporting hate crime; you can report non-crime hate incidents to the police to try and prevent any escalation in seriousness. 
  • Internet Hate Crime. True Vision also provide further information on internet hate crime. 

What if I have experienced a hate crime or incident? 

We believe hate is Never OK. 

Hate crimes hurt individuals and communities, and reporting it allows the University and the police to better understand and deal with what is happening.  

  • Are you in immediate danger? If you are in immediate danger or seriously injured call 999. 
  • Find a safe space.  
  • Safe Taxi Scheme. This scheme has been set up so that you can get home safely if you don't have any cash, you can pay the fare the next day. 
  • To a friend. Talking things through with someone you trust can sometimes help. 
  • Student Life Adviser. An adviser can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available, in confidence. 
  • Student Resident Life Team. Whether it is your parish Student Services Resident (SSR) or the Duty SSR, if you are living in UEA residences there is someone to talk to. 
  • The uea(su) Advice Service. A free, confidential, impartial service where an adviser can talk through the procedure, how to complain, what options are available and support you through the process.  
  • Human Resource Adviser. An adviser can talk through option whether the incident involved another staff member at UEA, a student, or a visitor to campus. 
  • Employee Assistance Programme. This free confidential 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year service is an UEA employee benefit available. Confidential support independent from UEA, with professional consultation, counselling, information, resources and referrals to services in your local area 
  • Report to the University and get Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can request support from an adviser. If you choose to talk to an adviser they will be able to talk through the options and support available to you, in confidence. 
  • To the Police. If you want to report directly to the police you can call the Manchester City Council Race and Hate Crime Reporting Line on 08000 830 007 or contact them anonymously. Greater Manchester Police have an online form for reporting hate crime. 
  • University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow. 
Get Support
Find out what support is available if you have been involved in a hate crime or incident. 
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. 
Mental Health and Wellbeing 
1 in 4 people are affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm. 

Helping Others 

Are you worried about someone else experiencing a hate crime? 
If you think someone you know has experienced a hate crime there are lots of ways in which you can help them. 

Understanding the behaviours associated with hate crimes is a good place to start. Most people will usually describe what has or is happening to them and how it's making them feel. 
You can find more information and advice on the I'm worried about someone else page. 

There are two ways you can report something